Included in this week's message: Enrollment, Volleyball, Basketball, Volunteering, and Camp Fitch
WELCOME: This summer has been a busy time for the school board, with lots of interviewing and hiring additional teachers and administrators to help MPA continue to offer a high-quality learning experience to all of our gifted students. You can check out the new faculty and teacher bios on the MPA web site. Be sure to check back often as we'll be adding additional information in the coming weeks. And make sure to say hello to the new faces if you stop by the school for enrollment or to volunteer!
ENROLLMENT: Speaking of enrollment ... click here to find all the forms and documents you need to complete for your student(s). These essential documents and forms must be returned to MPA in person. Only completed packets will be accepted, and your child(ren) will not be able to begin school if any of the necessary documents are missing. Paperwork and Fees must be turned in during any of the following times:
– Monday, July 23rd from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
– Tuesday, July 24th from 11:30 AM – 6:30 PM
– Wednesday, July 25th from 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM
Please bring all of the forms, required documents and the balance of the $500 activities and materials fee to the school’s office at 14440 Triskett Rd, Cleveland OH 44111. For most families, the $100 application fee you paid this past fall/winter counts toward the $500 fee, so the balance due in July will be $400. If you are unable to pay the balance of the $500 fee by this time, you must contact the Finance Department at email@example.com to make alternative arrangements. Please complete and return the attached Materials Fee Payment Plan document if you need to spread the fee payments out over the school year.
SHOPPING: Once you've gotten your child's paperwork turned in, it's time to start thinking about school clothes and supplies. As you already know, MPA students are required to follow a dress code - so save yourself the hassle of returns by checking this year's version here before you shop. (At our house we're particularly excited that we're allowed to buy any color socks this year - woohoo!) And before you load up on Justin Bieber folders and graphing calculators, print out a copy of your child's school supply list from here. You'll be glad you did!
EXCHANGE: During enrollment registration, there will be a table and clothing rack filled with donated school dress code appropriate clothing. Families may look through and take what they like - everything is free. You can also come in and drop off old/outgrown school clothes in good condition if you'd like to pass them on.
OPEN HOUSE: Once you've purchased those school supplies, wouldn't it be nice to be able to get them to school without your child having to lug them in on the first day of class? Fear not, we are once again hosting an open house/school supply drop off day! This year the school will be open Wednesday, August 22nd, from 1-2pm and from 5:30-6:30pm. Teachers will be on hand to meet parents and children, and you can deliver your child's school supplies directly to their homerooms.
VOLUNTEERING: Get a jump start on your family's volunteering for the year with one or more of these opportunities.
- We're still looking for volunteers who are ready to have a great time while working hard and raising money for our school. Join us at the Browns games and special events to work our concession stand! More information about this fundraiser can be found here. Our immediate need is for volunteers to work our concession stand at the Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw concert on July 29th. Click here to volunteer for that event, or click to sign up for the (required) training session on July 21st or 24th. Questions? Just send an Email to our team leader, Chris Harrison, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It is time again for the summer cleaning overhaul of our school building. Roll up your sleeves and join Mrs. B-W as we move furniture out of classrooms for carpet cleaning and scrub down surfaces. Please bring a bucket, rags, and some cleaning supplies with you. The BUCKET BRIGADE will occur on: Saturday, July 21st from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm, and Wednesday, July 25 from 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Of course, volunteers are welcome to drop by anytime during the school day to assist in this endeavor.
- We'll also be doing a physical inventory of the school on July 21st from 9am -12pm. If you'd like to come in and help with that, we'd love to put you to work!
VOLLEYBALL: Attention parents of girls in grades 4-8! We are exploring options for additional athletic teams and want to gauge interest in a girls’ volleyball league. If you would be interested in assisting with the research and organization of a team for MPA, please contact Mrs. B-W at Paige.BW@MenloParkAcademy.com. In the meantime, Spirit Volleyball in Avon is having open gym this summer on Monday & Wednesday evenings from 6-8pm. Cost is just $3.00 per session. It’s a great opportunity to see if your daughter enjoys the game.
BASKETBALL: Willie Littlejohn is starting his second season as volunteer coach of the Boys' Basketball Teams at Menlo Park Academy for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year. This year we will have two teams: One team of 4th and 5th graders and a second team of 6th-8th graders. Families with an incoming boy in grades 4-8 are invited to attend a parent meeting at Menlo Park Academy on Saturday, 8/25 at 11am. At this meeting, Coach Willie will briefly outline his coaching philosophy and discuss some other important matters, such as training, transportation logistics, possible fees, tryouts, the upcoming season, and how you may be able to assist the team. Your child is also welcome and encouraged to attend this meeting. Feel free to contact coach Willie prior to this meeting, either at 216-287-8786 or via email at email@example.com.
CAMP FITCH: This year the fifth grade students will have the opportunity to travel to Camp Fitch for a three day adventure. This community-building event will occur September 17-19. A mandatory parent meeting for all students attending will be held on September 4 at 6:00 pm in the gym. Parents should be on the lookout for more information and forms coming in the mail next week.
As always, if your student has any achievements, honors, or events you'd like to share with the MPA community, feel free to send them to Gretchen Woods at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll mention as many as we can in future newsletters - we're proud of our students, and we want the whole world to know it!
Menlo Park Academy
14440 Triskett Road
Cleveland, OH 44111