Wednesday was picture day?!?: If you were unable to log into the Lifetouch website to order school pictures in time for Wednesday's photo session, don't despair! You have two days to order pictures after the fact. Visit this site and use MPA's school code (KR211192YO) to start the order process. The photo order envelopes that were sent home a few weeks ago can also be submitted at school Thursday, Oct. 20th if you prefer to do things the old-school way.
Hot off the presses: The MPA Family Phone Book and Student Handbook are now available!!!!!!! The phone book was sent out via the weekly e-mail newsletter (contact Lynn Wilson if you need an alternate delivery method). While we have made every effort to make sure the information in it is correct, please e-mail any corrections you need to Lynn.Wilson@menloparkacademy.com .
Wacky Wednesdays: We're moving dress-down days to Wednesdays, effective . Donations from students participating in dress-down day will still be returned in the Thursday folder (paying for dressing down the Wednesday of that same week).
Parents on Parade: MPA's Fall Character Festival will be held during school . There will be parties in the classrooms and a costume parade at for all grades. Parents are welcome to observe the parade - it's always fun to see what the kids come up with as costumes! The parade will be held outside, weather permitting, or inside the school if the weather is bad. Parents who are volunteering at their students' classroom parties can do the setup for the parties beginning at 2pm. Parent volunteers should coordinate this with teachers to make sure that any allergies or other student needs are addressed. And parents, please remember to tell your child's homeroom teacher if the child will be leaving school with you at the end of the day - we want to make sure everyone gets home safely and no one gets lost or left behind.
Costume Conundrums: Students should NOT wear their costumes to school in the morning . They can bring in a costume based on any character found in a book - costumes must be able to be put on in the classroom (not in the restroom) by the students with no assistance from an adult. Please limit the number of "props" to go along with the costume, and do not send in anything that could even remotely be viewed as a weapon (pretend knives, guns, swords, ninja weapons or throwing stars, brass knuckles, etc.).
Enroll-ing Along: Hard to believe, but it's already time for current MPA students and their siblings to start thinking about enrolling for next year. Check this week's Thursday folder for the re-enrollment application; see below for a quick summary of the timeline:
- - re-enrollment applications and deposits will be accepted for current students and their siblings
- - enrollment applications and deposits will be accepted from students on this year's wait list
- - MPA open house for new students; beginning of open enrollment periodPlease contact Nancy Nancy.Colby@menloparkacademy.com if you have any questions about admissions or enrollment. at
Alley-oops! Join MPA families for an afternoon of bowling at Mahall's 20 Lanes in here for pricing and more information.. We'll be meeting Saturday, for an afternoon of fun and friendship. Visit the MPA blog at
From Father Fedor: Ten parking spaces near to the church and rectory have been designated as for "Church Parking only."Faculty, staff and parents must respect and abide by the designations on the parking lot surface both in regard to "No Parking" and "Church Parking Only." This also applies to short term parking or stopping in those areas so designated. Street parking is available on Harley and Avenues if the parking lot is full.It's that time of year: The St. Mel "Holiday Boutique" will be held in the church hall on the following dates:
There will be Holiday Crafts and Gift Items, Special Activities, and a cafe featuring Stuffed Cabbage, Noodles & Cabbage, Italian Sausage, and Meatball Sandwiches. Admission is free, and the event supports St. Mel Parish. For more information, contact Gail: 216-216-219-1266 or Barb: 216-990-3320.
- Saturday, November 12, 2011, 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Sunday, November 13, 2011, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Geek Squad: The MPA IT Team is having a work day firstname.lastname@example.org to 12pm. It is not necessary to have tons of computer experience to help out - but if you're computer savvy, we could especially use your help. Please contact Scott Carman at to let him know you'll be able to come, and any special skills you have to contribute.
Buff, polish, shine: MPA will be having a Facilities work day to 12pm. We'll be cleaning, painting, fixing, and organizing - all the little (and big!) jobs that help keep the school building nice for our students. Save the date on your calendar - more information and sign-ups for specific jobs will be coming in a future message.
Sorry, Charlie: It's field trip season, and Dr. Bouchard would like to remind our parent volunteers that we are not able to accommodate non-school-age siblings on any MPA field trips. Minding younger children during a field trip takes a volunteer's time and attention away from the students they are supposed to be chaperoning, and we want to make sure that all of our field trip participants are safe and well-cared-for. Thank you for your understanding.
What are you waiting for?: Want to get your volunteer hours in but aren't sure what we've got that would fit your schedule? E-mail email@example.com and let her know what days/times you're available, and we'll find a way for you to help. And make sure that any volunteer hours you work are logged, either in the book in the front office, or online (link). We ARE keeping track of the hours each family accrues, so make sure you're all recorded!
Fun-draising: Here's a list of the current MPA fundraisers - please participate!
- Flower Power: This opportunity is ending soon, so go online (link) to order right away!
- Magazines: Visit the site online here, fundraiser code 1074398
- Gift Cards: Visit the MPA blog for detailed information (link). We've had great participation in the gift card fundraiser so far, and the deadline for requesting cards for November is fast approaching. Get your order in by , to insure your cards' delivery in the first Thursday folder in November. Please remember that cards ordered by you, your friends, and your family will all be coming to you in your child's folder, and you will be responsible for distributing them from there. So encourage your friends and relatives to participate ... but understand that you will need to drop off or mail them the cards they order.(No) Soliciting: As mentioned in last week's fundraising letter, the 1st Annual Holiday On-Line Auction will take place. This auction will feature donations from local and national businesses, as well as items generously donated by MPA families and friends. Please look in your Thursday folder for a business donation letter and use it to ask for a donation from your favorite local businesses - your hairdresser, local store, favorite restaurant, friend who owns a business, etc. We are looking for donations for the Holiday On-Line Auction, the From the Heart All-School Performance Auction, and possibly the golf scramble. Thank you for your help!
- - MPA Board of Directors meeting at ; Girl Scouts meeting at
- - boys' basketball tryouts at YMCA
- Oct. 22 (Saturday) - 8am-12pm IT Team work day at school
- - Mrs. Eby's 6th grade class trip to LENSC
- - Kindergarten field trip to firehouse and library; gift card orders due for November delivery
- - 7th/8th grade field trip to the Maltz Museum; boys' basketball tryouts 4:30pm at YMCA
- - Concession Stand Volunteer training at at the Grille
- 4:30pm at Kamm's Corner YMCA - Fall Character Festival costume parade at ; classroom parties at end of school day; boys' basketball tryouts
- - Ms. Shuder's 4th grade field trip to Stocker Arts Center to see We the People
- - 12pm Facilities Team work day at school
- - Save the date! Open house for prospective families,A final thought: Did you know you can now find back issues of the e-mail newsletters online? Check out the archives on the blog here.